Guardianship Attorney

Experienced, Compassionate Charleston Family Lawyers

A guardian is a legal adult who takes responsibility for an individual who is incapable of making serious decisions for him or herself. Typically, guardians are appointed to children under the age of 18, though people may also act as guardians for adults with special needs or elderly individuals with mental problems. Guardianship may be established after a child’s parents die, or if they are no longer able to care for the child. If you are dealing with a guardianship issue, dispute, or simply wish to establish legal guardianship over a child you care for, our firm can help.

At Lord Hoosier, PLLC, our attorneys understand how complex family legal matters can be. For more than 20 years, our lawyers have provided the people of Charleston with reliable, trustworthy legal help, and we want to help you too. We have a proven track record of success and are proud of our pristine reputation in and out of the community. Whether you need help establishing guardianship, transferring guardianship, or dealing with some other type of family law dispute, we can help.

Ready to get started? Call (304) 605-2026 to schedule a free consultation with our family lawyers.

Guardian Responsibilities

Guardians are responsible for making essential decisions on behalf of another person, their ward. The ward is usually a minor, a child under the age of 18. However, the ward might also be an adult who is incapable of making important decisions, usually becomes of some type of disability. Guardians are responsible for several things, including the ward’s medical care, education, living situation, finances, and daily necessities, including toys, food, clothing, and so on.

Establishing Guardianship

In New Jersey, guardianship can be appointed by the court or the individual’s parent. Usually, the court appoints guardianship over a child when his or her parents are deceased or incapable of providing the child with adequate care. This often happens in cases of domestic violence, abuse, or neglect. Typically, the court prefers appointing family members as guardians, especially those who have a standing relationship with the ward. However, any adult could qualify for guardianship in West Virginia, pending court approval.

If you wish to file for guardianship, you must file a petition with your circuit court. The court will then begin an investigation, after which point the hopeful guardian will testify in front of the court. If the court deems the guardianship to be in the best interest of the child, the guardianship will be granted.

To speak with an attorney about establishing guardianship for a child or disabled adult, contact Lord Hoosier, PLLC and schedule a consultation with our Charleston family lawyers.